Does CULA allow only one thread per GPU at any instant?

General CULA Dense (LAPACK & BLAS) support and troubleshooting. Use this forum if you are having a general problem or have encountered a bug.

Does CULA allow only one thread per GPU at any instant?

Postby ahskipton » Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:34 am

This is my first foray into GPU programming via CULA, so I apologise in advance if the answer to this is obvious...

I have a multi-threaded application that uses all 8 cores (total CPU usage is typically 95-100%) on a hyper-threaded quad-core i7. Most of the threads in the application (of which there are many) use maths kernel library BLAS/LAPACK functions, so there can be (and frequently are) many threads executing BLAS/LAPACK routines in parallel. I am interested in using the GPU to accelerate this application. My first attempt at acceleration using CULA has failed. There is a bottleneck when multiple application threads attempt to use GPU accelerated versions of the BLAS/LAPACK routines in parallel. So, I have 2 questions:

1) With CULA, is it true that only one application thread can be active on a given GPU at any one time?
2) If the answer to (1) is 'yes', is this a restriction imposed by CULA, or is it a basic architectural restriction associated with CUDA?
ahskipton
CULA Premium

Re: Does CULA allow only one thread per GPU at any instant?

Postby john » Tue Sep 06, 2011 6:18 am

Your architecture doesn't really sound like it is set up for using CUDA. CUDA is a finer-grained parallelism than even threads are. Multiple threads can share a GPU, but the kernels from each of those threads are largely serialized; ie you can't allocate a fixed portion of the CUDA cores to each thread. I have to assume that these limitations will be relaxed as time goes on, especially because CUDA 4.0 made it much easier to write multithreaded CUDA programs.
john
Administrator

Return to CULA Dense Support