CULA Basic vs Premium library

General CULA Dense (LAPACK & BLAS) support and troubleshooting. Use this forum if you are having a general problem or have encountered a bug.

CULA Basic vs Premium library

Postby psillymathhead » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:31 pm

How can I tell which one a machine has loaded....

I have finally found some time to improve PyCULA's python bindings for CULA, and a very common complaint I get from people trying both PyCULA and CULA is that some function or routine is not installed... when really it is just not part of CULA Basic (which they are trying for free). I would like to probe the library for basic/premium, then I can nicely alert the user if they attempt something not implemented so they understand what the problem is, and things don't crash etc....

With that said, is there a proper function or something I can call to check whether a machine is running CULA premium/basic? For the time being, I have thought about probing for a function I know is not implemented in premium... but I thought perhaps in the future it could be added to the culaGetVersion functionality...

I would appreciate your input :)

Best,
~Garrett @PyCULA
psillymathhead

Re: CULA Basic vs Premium library

Postby john » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:49 am

Good question. I think with dynamic runtime loading that for now the best option is to do as you said, which is to probe for an item which is premium-only. We can probably drop in a routine or string to make life easier for you in an upcoming version, I'll make a note of that.

If you're using a host memory interface, the Link Interface from R12 will handle this transparently for you already.
john
Administrator

Re: CULA Basic vs Premium library

Postby psillymathhead » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:22 am

Right now I am just catching a missing symbol exception thrown from trying to load culaDeviceMalloc from the basic library which seems to work... Something like an extra digit in the culaGetVersion might be nicer in the future though :D

Best,
Garrett
psillymathhead

Return to CULA Dense Support