systemSolve result check failed

General CULA Dense (LAPACK & BLAS) support and troubleshooting. Use this forum if you are having a general problem or have encountered a bug.

systemSolve result check failed

Postby pcrs » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:17 am

Hi,
I downloaded cula R12 july 2,2011 and tried the demo (windows 7, 32 bit version)
When I run the systemSolve, it gives a 'result check failed' on the complex solve.
The values are however correct. The mismatch is given on the abs value check.
sqrt(x[i].x^2+x[i].y^2) -
sqrt(b[i].x^2+b[i].y^2)
If I remove the sqrt, the check turns out fine.

the benchmark does not compile:
1>c:\program files (x86)\cula\r12\examples\benchmark\benchmark.c(68) : fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'mkl_lapack.h':
grts,
Peter
pcrs

Re: systemSolve result check failed

Postby john » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:28 am

We'll check into that win32 problem; if you check the forums, we've had a few recurring problems with the win32 package when trying to keep the data alignment matching Nvidia's cuComplex data type. It's likely this. The fix is to place "#define CULA_USE_CUDA_COMPLEX" at the top of the file. I've just verified it in win32 (cross-compiled on a 64-bit machine).

For the benchmark question, compiling that file requires that you own and install your own copy of Intel MKL. Please see this note in the C code for that example:
Code: Select all
* Note: This example requires Intel MKL.  If you do not have MKL, you may use
* the precompiled binary 'benchmark_'.
john
Administrator

Postby pcrs » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:37 am

Thanks, When I use benchmark_ it says cula.dll is missing. Does some environment variable needs to be set? When I moved benchmark_ to the dll directory it runs. It's about 2 to 3 times as fast on my machine.

When I place CULA_USE_CUDA_COMPLEX it tries to include cuComplex.h from culatypes.h
It claims not to be able to find that file.

I need a cholesky decomposition
SPOTRF or
SPOTRS
is that included in the basic version, or do you need the premium version?

grts,
Peter
pcrs

Postby john » Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:41 am

In order -

1) The cula.dll will need to be in your path, or copied into the same directory as benchmark_. There's a note to this effect in examples/README.TXT, which might help a little.
2) I should have noted that adding the CULA_USE_CUDA_COMPLEX injects a dependency on the CUDA toolkit. Assuming you have that, you'll need to add your $CUDA_ROOT/include to your include path.
4) POTRF/POTRS are in the premium version. POTRF typically takes slightly more than half the time GETRF takes, so you can use that as your metric for perf.
john
Administrator

Postby pcrs » Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:53 am

SystemSolve is working now. I want to use CULA for a hobby project (neural network) and the full price is a bit steep for a hobby. I also at this moment only require Cholesky decomposition (the rest I can find in cublas). I am no academic however. Is there a possibility I still could get it for the academic price?
pcrs

Return to CULA Dense Support