[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 483: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4284: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4286: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4287: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 4288: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/functions.php:3493)
CULA • View topic - sgesv in 1.1 is slow...

sgesv in 1.1 is slow...

General CULA Dense (LAPACK & BLAS) support and troubleshooting. Use this forum if you are having a general problem or have encountered a bug.

Re:sgesv in 1.1 is slow...

Postby john » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:27 pm

john
Administrator

Postby zatak » Mon Feb 15, 2010 7:48 am

zatak

Postby Boxed Cylon » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:38 am

The suggestion is interesting - perhaps Matlab's memory management is really the issue. I think I understand the suggestion of separating the code from the mex file as much as possible, but I'm not sure I would know how to do that (or willing to work through the revisions to my code...).

Here is a graph showing what I am getting. I've posted the code and matlab script to generate this earlier in this thread. It compares matlab and culaDeviceSgesv solution using A*X=B for A NXN and B NX5000. These matrices are filled using "randn". I used the host-based culaSgesv as well, with the same result. I've verified that all the compute time is in the single call to "status = culaDeviceSgesv(L,I,ga,L,ipiv,gb,L);", rather than, e.g., host-device copies. I run the code setting maxNumCompThreads(1); at the top of the matlab script so it is using a single cpu - an AMD Phenom II X4 965 Processor in this case, compared to a GTX260.

This result does not agree with the direct CULA benchmark test, of course.

Boxed Cylon

Postby cjest » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:15 am

Dear Zatak

Cula’s CELS is not faster than MKL, when i am running the cula’s example benchmark, and i think it would be much slower if data comes from Matlab. but 10x speed ups from a mex file sounds great. What is the matrix sizes you are have?

I’ve tried to have same try with GESV, but my Matlab crashes each time. Do you have memory allocating twice for each array, ones with mxMalloc and another by calloc and copy the fist one to the second one?

perhaps i didn't understand the approach well.
cjest

Postby john » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:54 am

john
Administrator

Postby cjest » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:49 am

cjest

Postby dan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:32 am

dan
Administrator