culaSgemv or culaSgemm

General CULA Dense (LAPACK & BLAS) support and troubleshooting. Use this forum if you are having a general problem or have encountered a bug.

culaSgemv or culaSgemm

Postby kakarias » Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:31 am

hi i have one question, i write my thesis, and i compare cublas cula lapack blas cblas and more,

now im doing on cula and i want to know where is the differnet between calling function culaSgemv and culaDeviceSgemv .... they use different type of memory or the computation is in first type on CPU and on the second type on GPU ?? what are the defferences?... i use free cula and i cant call function culaDeviceSgemv to compare them :( ...

thanx for your answer ...
kakarias

Re: culaSgemv or culaSgemm

Postby wuquansheng » Thu May 10, 2012 6:26 pm

I have test other functions, such as zheev. My experience told me that the two functions culaZheev and culaDeviceZheev are run on gpu. The difference is that culazheev automatically copy memory from cpu to gpu. however, if you call culadevicezheev, you need to call cudamalloc, and cudamemcpy to allocate memory on gpu, and copy data from cpu to gpu device.
wuquansheng

Re: culaSgemv or culaSgemm

Postby kyle » Thu May 10, 2012 7:25 pm

You are correct, any routine with "device" in the name uses GPU pointers while any routine without "device" will take CPU pointers.
kyle
Administrator

Return to CULA Dense Support